Smoke Management Guides and Resources
Below, you will find the most recent guides and resources addressing smoke management, health and safety, and more.
- NWCG Smoke Management Guide for Prescribed Fire: Information on prescribed fire smoke management techniques, regulations, monitoring, modeling, communication, perception and meteorology. Serve as the textbook in support of NWCG’s Smoke Management Techniques (RX-410) course.
- Prescribed Fire Smoke Management Pocket Guide: A pocket guide created by the Coalition of Prescribed Fire Councils and SERPPAS which includes rules, checklists, and other resources to serve as a job aid for those needing to recall the rules and guidelines associated with proper prescribed smoke management practices and planned burns
Health And Safety
- Smoke Ready Toolbox for Wildfires: Public health officials can use the resources in the Smoke Ready Toolbox to help educate the public about the risks of smoke exposure and actions people can take to protect their health.
- AirNow, Air Quality Index: The Air Quality Index (AQI) tells you how clean or polluted your outdoor air is, along with associated health effects that may be of concern. The AQI translates air quality data into numbers and colors that help people understand when to take action to protect their health.
- Smoke Blogs: This page links to real time smoke blogs coordinated and maintained by various states and agencies to aggregate smoke and air quality information.
- AirFire Tools.org: Main portal to access the web-based smoke planning and monitoring tools developed by AirFire such as BlueSky Playground, Monitoring PM2.5, and others. Each tool is listed along with a 'More Info' link that provides help pages, user information, and more.
- Fuel and Fire Tools (FFT): Downloadable application for assessing fuel loading, fuel consumption, and emissions production, it contains the Fuel Characteristics Classification System, Consume, FEPS, Pile Calculator, and Digital Photo Series in a single user interface.