What is a Learn & Burn? These workshops are intended for private landowners or anyone in the community who is interested in learning how to prescribed burn with hands-on opportunities to gain experience and knowledge.
You're invited to the Cascadia Prescribed Burn Association (PBA) Learn and Burn. This is a free event starting at 5-7pm May 12th at the District 3 Firehall in Leavenworth and continuing 9am-4:30pm Saturday the 13th at a private property up Bjork Canyon. Free BBQ at the conclusion. The address will be given to participants Friday evening or via separate email. We have received permitting for the burn through the WA Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and we are finalizing the curriculum with an amazing crew of firelighters to help educate, answer questions and facilitate the event.
This is open to all ages and experience levels. We do require that all participants bring leather gloves, eye protection (can be sunglasses), natural fiber clothing, and boots. Hard hats are required and we will have some to borrow from Cascadia Conservation District.
Pre work to be completed before the start on May 12 (about 2 hours of videos). The pre-work and its additional resources are available and recommended to anyone participating or not. It is a living document and will be updated as new information comes in.
May 12th - District 3 Firehall, 5-7pm
- Indigenous Burning Recognition and Acknowledgment
- What is a PBA and Cascadia PBA
- DNR Prescribed Fire and Certified Burn Program
- Resources for Landowners
- Introductions to the WA RC&D and the Washington Prescribed (Rx) Fire Council
- How to Burn on Private Land, Liability?
- Rx fire structure: Burn plan, Holding vs Firing, medical, contingency plan
May 13th - All Day, starting at 9am
- Burn plan and objectives for the day
- PPE (bold needed to fully participate) hardhat, boots, socks, non-synthetic clothes; pencil/pen, Nomex, food/snacks/water, leather gloves, eye protection, earplugs, flagging
- Fire Ecology
- Fire Lines Anatomy and Line Production
- Lunch (on your own) 12ish
- Fuel Characteristics and Types
- Firing Patterns & Techniques
- Suppression Techniques
- Mop Up
- BBQ Free! (4:30-5:00)
The event has a live fire component and is permitted to burn a unit about an acre in size. If prescription is not met the contingency plans will be to continue with the curriculum for the day and possibly do additional prep and planning on the property for a future larger underburn.