Fueling Collaboration is an interactive virtual Panel Discussion Series designed to connect fire managers and researchers. Fueling Collaboration is created and hosted by the USDA Forest Service Northern and Southern Research Stations, and the Joint Fire Science Program (JFSP) Fire Science Exchanges in the Eastern U.S. The Series was launched in 2020 with the goal of connecting people throughout the region and across disciplines, exploring emerging fire science research and management considerations.
More and more natural resource managers in the eastern US are looking to use prescribed fire to reduce wildfire risk and manage ecosystems located in the WUI. Using prescribed fire in urban and suburban locations brings unique, intimidating challenges that can add to the complexity of a burn. In this panel discussion, we’ll highlight success stories, common themes, and lessons learned from prescribed fire programs in the WUI.
- David Godwin (moderator) - Southern Fire Exchange
- Nick Larson - US Forest Service, Grandfather Ranger District
- Louise Loudermilk - USFS Athens Prescribed Fire Laboratory
- John McCabe - Forest Preserves of Cook County
- Polly Weigand - Central Pine Barrens Commission