Fueling Collaboration is an interactive virtual Panel Discussion Series designed to connect fire managers and researchers. Fueling Collaboration is created and hosted by the USDA Forest Service Northern and Southern Research Stations, and the Joint Fire Science Program (JFSP) Fire Science Exchanges in the Eastern U.S. The Series was launched in 2020 with the goal of connecting people throughout the region and across disciplines, exploring emerging fire science research and management considerations.
Notions of fire and the wildland urban interface often bring to mind scenes from the western United States, where catastrophic wildfires have led to catastrophic losses. In contrast, mapping efforts have found that the vast majority of the WUI acres can be found in the eastern United States. This panel will talk about how wildfire, prescribed fire, and climate change intersect in the WUI of the east.
- David Godwin (moderator) - University of Florida
- Fernando Garcia-Menendez - North Carolina State University
- Steve Miller - US Forest Service, Region 9
- Miranda Mockrin - US Forest Service, Northern Research Station
- Gary Wood - North Carolina Forest Service