The North Atlantic Fire Science Exchange (NAFSE) is hosting a workshop in September 2021 to reset, recharge, and reimagine the future of fire science co-production. The last year has posed unimaginable challenges to fire scientists, managers, and wildland firefighters.
Field trips to New Jersey Pine Barrens sites will stimulate discussion about regional prescribed fire science challenges and solutions. The workshop day will build a structure for region-wide prescribed fire science co-production and post-workshop coordination.
Join NAFSE for a three-day experience in a camp environment outdoors, at YMCA of the Pines in Medford Township, New Jersey. Spend time in the field with fellow fire science stakeholders. Get your thoughts working in the amazing classroom of New Jersey's prescribed fire landscape. Registration costs are estimated to be $55 per person per day, which will include meals, refreshments, and on-site lodging (exact cost will be determined and billed closer to the workshop date). Registering for all three days of this workshop is recommended, but full registration is not required. Travel cost assistance is available; please email NAFSEhelp@gmail.com for details
- Registration closes Monday, August 23 at 11:59 p.m. EDT
- Day 0, Mon 9/13: Arrival, optional dinner (not provided) with other participants at a local restaurant
- Day 1, Tues 9/14: NJ Pine Barrens field trip, including Silas Little Experimental Forest, Coyle Airfield, and other local spots of interest
- Day 2, Wed 9/15: Workshop day, including facilitated discussion of prescribed fire science needs and solutions in the North Atlantic region
- Day 3, Thurs 9/16: Field trip to "Small Timbers," a fire-managed private forest on part of cranberry farm