LANDFIRE National data have been completed for the United States since 2009 with a circa 2001 date. LANDFIRE is in the final stages of updating the data products for vegetation changes from 1999-2008. Included in these are GIS data products which depict fuel models, forest canopy characteristics, and other attributes used in fire behavior prediction and fuels assessment.
The purpose of this workshop was to evaluate the LANDFIRE 2008 "Refresh" fire behavior fuels models in Alaska.
To improve the quality of the data, LANDFIRE leadership have supported the review and calibration of fuel layers. The review of fuels data occurred to allow for:
- Improving the usability and efficacy of fuel data.
- Direct interaction between LANDFIRE scientists and field Fire/Fuel/vegetation managers.
- Opportunities to re-evaluate assumptions and decision rules.
- Fine tuning of map products based on local knowledge.
- Highlighting underrepresented logic in the mapping process.
- Increasing visibility and understanding of LANDFIRE products.
- Building support for LANDFIRE products within broader agency management and scientific communities.