Overview: This position is part of a partnership between Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on public wildlife management areas. They are full-time, permanent employees of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from KDWP Field Managers. This Habitat Specialist position will be located at Wilson Lake WA, Bunker Hill, Kansas.
Duties: The incumbent will assist with all aspects of managing the assigned wildlife management area. Major responsibilities include:
• Directing, supervising, and implementing habitat management work on public wildlife areas;
• Procuring supplies and equipment;
• Supervising and participating in the construction, maintenance and repair of area buildings, equipment, and roads;
• Coordinating agricultural permits to insure positive benefits for wildlife;
• Providing public information;
• Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
• Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the partners. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
• Ability to work independently with little supervision;
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
• Prescribed Fire experience and formal fire training is important.
• Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
• Valid driver’s license required.