Alaska Fire Research Needs
About the Research Needs List
In 2018-2019 the Fire Research Development and Application Committee (FRDAC) overhauled the system handling fire management research needs in Alaska. Three workshops were held in 2018-2019 to create an improved system surrounding the “Research Task List”. The new system emphasizes specific tasks, co-production, and meaningful endpoint deliverables.
- Each task is supported by three roles.
- An AWFCG Sponsor
- A FRDAC Representative
- An Investigator
- Tasks now require an AWFCG sponsor. The sponsor identifies a research need and crafts task statements and deliverables.
- The system emphasizes “Co-production”. Early collaboration between the Sponsor and the Investigator in the development of a project ensures that the AWFCG will get a needed and useful product.
- Tasks have a specific endpoint and deliverables.
- Tasks are no longer prioritized. If a task is important enough to assign an AWFCG sponsor, it is important enough to be on the list.
- Database system. A database maintains a “living list” of current and completed tasks with links to contacts and end products.